2. KARRIKINS GROUP RESPECTS YOUR PRIVACY
Karrikins Group alone and with its partners organises and facilitates educational workshops both face-to-face and in the online e-learning environment. Our face to face workshops and e-learning programmes may result in the collection of Personal Information. At Karrikins Group we respect the privacy of your Personal Information.
We are committed to handling your Personal Information responsibly and in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 ("Privacy Act"), including the Information Privacy Principles. We are also bound by other applicable laws and codes affecting your Personal Information. Our staff are trained to respect your privacy in accordance with our standards, policies and procedures.
• Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual, as defined in the Privacy Act.
4. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES KARRIKINS GROUP COLLECT?
The type of Personal Information we collect depends on the nature of your dealings with us and the reason for collecting it. We will only collect Personal Information for a purpose which is connected with our functions and which is necessary.
We may collect your Personal Information if you:
• sign up to and attend our workshops;
• are a subscriber to our mailing list or newsletter;
• participate in the evaluation of our workshops
• attend an event or seminar organised by Karrikins Group;
• are one of our suppliers; or
• submit a job application.
If you register for or participate in our workshops, we may collect your name, contact details, the school you attend or are employed at, the grade you are in or teach, details of your dealings with us and any other information reasonably necessary to provide you with our services.
Karrikins Group may collect some Personal Information of students who participate in any of the projects run by us. This is limited to their name, educational institute or school they attend, and any feedback or comments on the event or seminar they attended.
If you are a subscriber to our mailing list or newsletter, or attended an event or seminar organised by Karrikins Group, we may collect your name, contact details, job title, areas of interest and details of your dealings with us.
If you are one of our suppliers or contractors, or one of their employees, we may collect your name, contact details and position in the organisation.
If you apply for a job with us, you may provide us with certain information, including your name, employment and educational background, and other personal or sensitive information which we may require you to provide, or which you choose to provide us, in relation to your job application.
Generally, Karrikins Group does not collect Personal Information about you, such as racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs or affiliations and health records, unless it is necessary for the purpose of providing you with our services or is otherwise permitted by law.
5. COLLECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
How we collect Personal Information depends on the nature of your dealings with us.
We collect Personal Information directly from you whenever possible. We may also collect Personal Information from third parties in the course of providing our services to you.
When you register your interest through one of our websites we assess the services requested in the registration form and determine whether we can facilitate the service(s) requested. If we are able to facilitate the service(s) then we will retain your Personal Information to contact you and make the appropriate arrangements. In the event we are unable to facilitate the services then we will advise you so and we will not retain your Personal Information.
When participating in a workshop online in the e-learning environment we collect user information through content and email management systems, online interactive workshop programmes and resources that tell us how a user is engaging with the resources offered by us though our workshops. We also collect Personal Information from the various websites that we operate that are tailored to the specific workshops we offer.
If you elect not to provide some Personal Information to us, this may affect our ability to provide services to you.
6. HOW DOES KARRIKINS GROUP COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If you are accessing a website or online learning tool from our organisation, we will collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information for the purposes of providing you with our services and managing our business, including:
• contacting individuals to confirm workshops bookings;
• sending educational emails containing links to lesson plans;
• providing access to informative videos and other educational online tools;
• completing basic tests concerning material that was previously touched upon in face-to-face workshops with students.
We will, if it is reasonable or practicable to do so, collect your Personal Information from you when you are providing information through one of our online learning environments and/or websites.
We may also collect your Personal Information for the purpose of letting you know about our website and online learning environments which may be of interest to you. The information collected may include your name, post or email address, date of birth and other information that Karrikins Group considers necessary.
If at any time the purpose for which we are collecting your Personal Information is unclear, please raise your concerns with the person you are dealing with or contact us using the contact details below.
Karrikins Group does not collect Personal Information from casual visitors to our websites, unless you have voluntarily supplied us with Personal Information via one of our web forms or via email.
7. HOW DOES KARRIKINS GROUP USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Some of the ways that Karrikins Group may use your Personal Information include:
• book face-to-face workshops in schools;
• liaise with you regarding existing bookings and to secure future bookings;
• give you access to post workshop resources;
• solicit feedback from you on programmes and workshops of ours that you have participated in;
• provide feedback to our partners on programmes and workshops that we have run;
• engage in once off or specific engagements – including research;
• determine suitability for vacant positions in our organisation;
• published in our marketing material;
• any other purpose that you have consented to; or
• for a purpose otherwise permitted by law.
Karrikins Group may use your Personal Information for research and development of our services, to determine expert panels and invite you to participate in expert panels and product research initiatives or to send you information about other services offered by us which may be of interest to you. If you would prefer not to receive promotional or other material from us, please let us know by sending an email to the contact details below and we will respect your request. Alternatively, simply select the "unsubscribe" option in any of the emails that you receive from us.
Karrikins Group may use feedback or comments on events or seminars by students as testimonials in our marketing materials. This is only done with the express written consent of the students and/or parents or guardians of students.
If you apply for a job with us, we will hold, use and disclose that information solely for the purpose of considering your application. In particular, in considering your application, it may be necessary for us to disclose some of that information to third parties to verify the accuracy of that information. In such circumstances, we will disclose only such information as is necessary in the circumstances. In considering your application, we may also collect Personal Information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
8. HOW DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
In accordance with the purposes for which we have collected your Personal Information, Karrikins Group may disclose your Personal Information to:
• related entities of Karrikins Group and Karrikins Group partners (including ASB Bank);
• third party service providers and contractors who assist in our internal business and administrative operations; and
• government, statutory and law enforcement bodies as required by law.
If we share Personal Information with a partner, we will only disclose the Personal Information related to the particular project or programme that the partner is associated with. For example, ASB Bank will only receive Personal Information related to the GetWise progra
When we engage the services of a third party, we obtain certain guarantees from them that they will comply with the Privacy Act and maintain the confidentiality of any Personal Information to which they have access.
Karrikins Group may disclose your Personal Information for things such as:
• providing reports to our partners of the workshops we conduct;
• providing reports and data to our partners and service providers about your online activity, practices and behaviour;
• discussing an application for employment with a person's referees.
9. WILL WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OVERSEAS?
In accordance with the purposes for which we have collected your Personal Information, Karrikins Group or its related entities may operate similar programmes in other countries. For the purpose of developing the programmes your Personal Information may be shared with those related entities. The disclosure of your personal information to our related entities is subject to them providing an acknowledgment of the importance of protecting the privacy of your information and an undertaking that they will comply with the Privacy Act.
The countries where the person or company is likely to be located include Australia and Canada.
10. KEEPING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION ACCURATE AND UP-TO-DATE
We aim to make sure that the Personal Information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure this is the case. To assist, please contact us if any of the details you have provided are incorrect or have changed.
If you have access to our online interactive workshop programmes and resources, then you can update your subscription details through MailChimp or by contacting us.
11. PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Karrikins Group is committed to keeping your Personal Information secure. We store your Personal Information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. The security of your Personal Information is important to us and we take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse and loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways we do this are:
• train our employees to keep all Personal Information collected confidential;
• document storage security policies;
• security measures for systems access;
• providing a discreet environment for confidential discussions;
• only allowing access to Personal Information where the individual seeking access has satisfied our identification requirements;
• access control for our buildings; and
• the security measures described below under “Our Websites”.
12. YOUR PRIVACY ON THE INTERNET
We take care to ensure that the Personal Information you give us on our websites is protected. For example, our websites have electronic security systems in place, including the use of firewalls and data encryption. User identifiers, passwords or other access codes may also be used to control access to your Personal Information. While we take certain steps including the use of data protection software and passwords to ensure that you provide Personal Information in a secure environment, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Karrikins Group does not accept responsibility for the security of information transmitted to us over the internet.
Links to Other Sites
You may be able to access external websites by clicking on links we have provided. Those other websites are not subject to our privacy standards, policies and procedures. You will need to contact or review those websites directly to ascertain their privacy standards, policies and procedures. Karrikins Group is not responsible for the content of or the privacy practices or policies of, those sites.
13. GAINING ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right to gain access to your Personal Information held by Karrikins Group. You can also make a request for us to correct any inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date Personal Information.
For security reasons, a written request and proof of identity will be required to access your information. If you are under the age of 18, we will also require the written request of a parent or guardian.
We may charge a small fee for the retrieval of your information. We will not refuse you access unless there are legal reasons for doing so. Some of those reasons include:
• access would endanger the safety of any individual;
• access would involve the unwarranted disclosure of the affairs of another individual;
• a frivolous or vexatious request;
• the information relates to a trade secret;
• access would be unlawful or breach legal professional privilege;
• denying access is required or authorised by law;
• in the case of an individual under the age of 16, the disclosure would be contrary to that individual’s interests;
• access would prejudice the maintenance of law including the investigation of criminal activities; and
• access to evaluative material would breach an express or implied promise that the identity of the person who supplied the information or the information or both would be kept in confidence.
We will give you reasons if we deny you access to your Personal Information.
15. HOW DOES KARRIKINS GROUP DEAL WITH PRIVACY COMPLAINTS?
Your privacy is important to Karrikins Group and we will do our best to resolve your concerns. To assist us in helping you, we ask you to follow a simple three-step process.
1. Gather all supporting documents about the matter of complaint, think about the questions you want answered and decide on what you want us to do.
2. E-mail the Privacy Officer on email@example.com or via telephone on +649 972 3101, and we will review your situation and if possible, resolve it straight away.
3. If you are not satisfied with our response, we may require you to submit your complaint in writing to the Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details. We will then investigate your complaint and endeavour to respond to you in writing within 30 days of receipt of your written complaint.
If at this stage the matter has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can telephone the Privacy Commissioner's hotline on 0800 803 909 or visit the Privacy Commissioner’s website at http://www.privacy.org.nz..
16. CONTACT US ABOUT PRIVACY
Please direct your privacy related questions and feedback to the Privacy Officer on (09) 972 3101 or email@example.com.
17. FURTHER INFORMATION ON PRIVACY
Further information may be obtained on privacy issues by visiting the Privacy Commissioner's website at http://www.privacy.org.nz.
Date last revised: Oct 2016